Sunday, May 10, 2015

A Day in My Life with Diabetes

Long time no talk! Today is Mother's Day, so I would like to say a big happy mother's day to all the wonderful mothers out in the world, and a very special mother, my mother. My mom has put up with so crap from me, but she has also been there for me through everything. She is what keeps me going, she encourages me to be the best me I can be. I love her with all my heart. Happy mother's day!

Moving on, yesterday I decided to switch my set to a foreign place! The back of my arm!
The only struggle with this site change was finding a pleasant spot to clip my insulin pump. I am wearing a long dress today, so the only place I could clip it is on the side of dress directly behind my arm. It has been funny wear it like this, but weirdly enough my pump being connected to my arm made it a lot easier to sleep at night. I would not advise people to attempt putting their set on their arms, if they are sure they can not do it alone. I inserted it just fine, but I ending up asking for help to pull the needle out.

9:30 am to 5:00 pm, those are the hours that I work alone five days a week. This makes diabetes hard to deal with. What if I give too much insulin and I end up going low? What if I do not have any sugar tablets? (Most of the time I do) Resulting in my blood sugar dropping dangerously low. I hate to admit this, but when my blood sugar is really low, I don't even feel like moving or trying to grab something quick to raise it up, even if I know it will save my life. Most of my day involves cleaning, helping customers, getting paver estimate, but I also have to move pots around, stand outside, lift heavy pots and load them into cars or trucks. This may not sound like a very exhausting job, but when I do heavy lifting outside my blood sugar drops drastically at times, I will sometimes call my mom to stay on the phone with me to make sure that I do not pass out.

Moving on to a happier note! I found out that Kyle Cochran from American Ninja Warrior will be at the Students with Diabetes conference at the end of this month! He also has type 1 diabetes.

No comments:

Post a Comment